INTERN (Summer 2021)
Submission Deadline: February 28, 2021
Acoustics, Noise/Vibration Control, Sound Isolation
Every year, Kirkegaard selects one or two current graduate and undergraduate students to spend from six to eight weeks in one of our offices gaining practical, real world experience in architectural acoustics. Paid interns work alongside junior and senior staff on a diversity of projects, but always with a focus on performing arts and general exposure to the different phases of design and construction required for new and renovated spaces.
We currently have internship positions open in our Chicago office. Responsibilities may vary depending on active projects at the time, but they will include:
- Assisting consultants on acoustics, noise control and/or sound isolation design projects
- Preparing and reviewing drawings, documents, data sets and other digital design assets
- Analyzing data and working collaboratively to help solve complex technical challenges and problems
- Participating in company meetings and industry events to learn more about the field broadly
Paid internships with our firm are highly competitive.
In addition to paying close attention to the application requirements, the ideal candidate will
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in acoustics, architecture, architectural engineering, physics, music, theater, mechanical engineering or an acoustics-related engineering field
- Have an excellent academic record (90th percentile or higher in major, transcripts required)
- Have completed at least two upper level courses in their major
- Demonstrate solid written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present ideas with clarity
- Have some experience (or ability to readily learn) applications such as REVIT, AutoCAD, Rhino and EASE, CATT, or Odeon; experience with Matlab, Grasshopper and/or Audition desired
- Be capable of high-level thinking and have an orientation for design and creative problem solving
- Maintain a flexible, collaborative approach to working on a team
Prior experience in consulting, particularly the measurement and analysis of noise and vibration projects is preferred and some experience as a musician, public speaker, or actor is highly desired.